Wednesday May 4th, 2016
General Data Protection Regulation
has been PUBLISHED in the Official Journal of the European Union
“May the 4th” be with you!
Following are the steps which led to the GDPR approval (see also: Overview of roadmap for General Data Protection Regulation).
Step 1 – Proposal (European Commission)
On January 25 2012 the European Commission published the first draft of the proposal ((COM(2012)0011)).
The proposal was expected to replace the previous Data Protection Directive 95/46/EC.
Step 2 – First reading in the European Parliament
- After intense lobbying, which led to 3999 amendments only in the LIBE Committee, the full European Parliament confirmed the committee’s texts in a vote on 12 March 2014 (Texts adopted).
Step 3 – Council of the European Union – adoption of a “General Approach”
- The Council of the European Union adopted a “General Approach” on 15 June 2015.
General Approach led the Council to begin negotiations with the European Parliament with the aim to reach an overall agreement on new EU data protection rules.
Step 4 – Interinstitutional meetings (Trilogues)
- The kick-off trilogue meeting with the Parliament was held on 24 June 2015 (See: data protection reform timetable).
- European Commission, European Parliament, Council of the European Union) finally reached a deal on the (new) Data Protection Regulation on 15 December 2015. (See: The agreement has been reached…)
Step 5 – First reading in the Council of the European Union
- The Council of the European Union adopted its position at first reading on data protection reform on 8 April 2016 (See also: GDPR… ready for the last step!).
Step 6 – Second (and final) reading in the European Parliament
- The European Parliament approved the Council position at first reading on 14 April 2016 and completed the legislative process.
Step 7 – GDPR published in the Official Journal of the European Union
- GDPR has been published in the Official Journal of the European Union on 4 May 2016.
- Regulation shall enter into force on 24 May 2016.
- It shall apply from 25 May 2018.